The use of titanium in automobiles began in the 1950s, shortly after the birth of the titanium industry. Due to technical and price reasons, the application of titanium in the automotive industry has not attracted much attention. With the improvement of automobile energy saving and environmental protection standards, it has gradually become a hot topic that the international material industry and automobile industry pay close attention to.
TC4 titanium rod has many excellent properties and is the preferred material for many different types of automobile parts. Its main advantages and applications are as follows.
- The low density is only 60% of the steel density, which can not only reduce the vehicle mass but also reduce the inertia of the moving parts at high speed;
- High specific strength. Among all kinds of metal materials, the specific strength of titanium bar is almost the highest, which can be used as load-bearing parts;
- Small modulus of elasticity, only 50% of steel; High fatigue strength, which is suitable for spring;
- Good heat resistance. It can work long hours under the 200-650 ℃, thus suitable for high-temperature components;
- Thermal expansion coefficient is 50% of stainless steel, aluminum, which is suitable for engine valves and other parts;
- The corrosion resistance is better than aluminum, magnesium and stainless steel, it can resist the atmosphere, rain, anti-freeze road moisture and hydrogen sulfide containing high-temperature exhaust gas corrosion, which is suitable for the tail nozzle and other working conditions of the environment are bad parts;
- Good frost resistance. It won’t produce low-temperature brittle under the temperature of -100 ℃;
- Good formability. Parts of various shapes can be manufactured by stamping, hot forging, powder metallurgy, precision casting, and other force methods;
- Good decoration. Various decorative materials with bright colors can be formed by oxidation treatment.
In addition to the TC4 titanium rod (Ti-6A1-4V) alloy and other alloys for automotive use, TiAl foundation inner compound and titanium reinforced materials have higher heat resistance, rigidity and wear resistance. The advantages of TC4 titanium rod for the automobile are as follows: reduce quality and fuel consumption; improve power transmission efficiency and reduce noise; reduce vibration and component load; improve vehicle durability and environmental protection.
In general, the titanium used in automobiles has poor wear resistance and a lower elasticity than steel, making it difficult to be machined. However, wear resistance can be improved by coating or strengthening, and elasticity can be improved by reinforcing. If the machine adopts the near net forming technology or other processing conditions, the disadvantages can be minimized. What really impedes the widespread application of titanium rods is the high cost of titanium, which is determined by the complexity of raw materials, smelting, and processing technology of titanium rods.
Please visit http://www.samaterials.com for more information.